Sunday, November 25, 2012

Random Wanderings

I admit that I am an avid web surfer for information about the subjects that interest me. Therefore, I will be posting some various items under this category just for fun and to share the things that I like or I find interesting or inspiring.

One thing I found out in my wanderings today is that one of my ancestors "brutally murdered his wife" and was executed for it back in 1750 in York County, Pennsylvania. Apparently, a researcher from Adams County, PA (part of York County was used for current day Adams County) wrote and published a 9-page paper about the settling of the estate of my ancestor. I suppose this hit me a little bit hard today because this is the first time I found out one of my ancestors did something like this. I suppose it takes a little while to get used to.

Also, today in my wanderings, much to my surprise, I found out the city I live in, from the 2010 census is ranked number 195 by population size. Who would of thought that?! We are 2 behind Topeka, KS and just below Thousand Oaks, California. We have 2 more people than Cedar Rapids, Iowa and about 90 more people than Waco, Texas. Well, I guess it's good to have an idea of other cities that are close in size - for us historians and people interested in things like that.

Okay, how does Austin, Texas come in at Number 13? I suppose they don't have very many suburbs around that area. Long Beach, CA is #36 and Kansas City is #37. I would not have thought that either. Certainly gives me a better indicator of how the population is out there. It seems as it the eastern cities and the far west coast cities would have been higher on the list.


No comments: